Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Today, I was on Facebook, and listened to a TED TALK. I liked it and commented on it, and a friend deleted it because she was afraid it would "offend someone." Here's my reply to her, and anyone else who cares about the freedoms we enjoy in this country:

If I was worried about being politically correct, or being popular, or not offending someone, I wouldn't do Facebook. I would poke my head under the sand and stay there for indefinite periods. I would certainly NEVER attempt to witness to others of another faith, and share my views about religion. And I wouldn't stand up for the Constitution of the United States! Remember the first amendment?

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Because I'm not worried about what others are going to think as they judge my words, I will do what God has asked me to do, and that is to share what I believe with others, thereby bringing many to His fold. If someone is offended by my words, perhaps something they've said or believe offends me. I'm not discouraging them from believing what they choose to believe, and I'm not going to take away their right to say how they feel. I'm not their judge. Let their words be heard, and let God be our judge.

We can't please everyone all the time anyway. And why should we try? That would be living a lie, a false life. I want to be me, to be real. Are you courageous? Or just following the lead of others, and sticking your head in the sand, afraid to speak out about what you believe?

I say, be courageous. Do something, say something, and be your own person. We are not created in the image of others, but in the image of God. I want to say like Elijah, "How long halt ye between two opinions? If the LORD be God, follow Him: but if Baal, then follow Him." (1 Kings 18:21)


No comments:

Post a Comment